At Casey Middle School, TAG students receive advanced programming via differentiated activities and clustering of high-level students in the regular classroom. When acceleration is needed, a student is typically moved up a year for that particular subject, most often in math. In addition to the regular grade-leveled math classes, we offer a 7th/8th compressed option, as well as advanced algebra. For students who are accelerated beyond that point, Boulder High is just down the hill from us, and students' schedules are arranged so that they may take classes there, usually at the beginning or end of the day. Additionally, most TAG students find our optional Bilingual program to be a challenging option, and we offer Japanese as well.
The TAG Educational Advisor spends time in the classrooms, conducting book groups, small group discussions, and writing and project mentoring. Additionally, the TEA sponsors various academic clubs, such as Brain Bowl, Math Counts, and Math on a Sphere (see below for a more extensive list of activities offered at Casey).
The social emotional programming and support for talented and gifted students and their families include:
- Counselors, school psychologists and social workers are always available for students and their parents. Services include one on one support, and groups for stress management, anger management, and friendship development.
- A TAG shelf in the library with books for and about gifted children.
Students may also be involved in enrichment activities and clubs which allow them to develop their interests in arts, math, leadership, language and science. These activities are open to all Casey children (there may be prerequisites or associated fees) and can include:
- Math Counts, Spelling Bee, Brain Bowl, Math on a Sphere
- Legislative Day
- Science Fair
- Talent Show, Jazz Band
- Smart Girl Leadership Training, 360 Club, Peer Tutoring
- Art Club, Book Club, Battle of the Books, Entrepreneurs' Club, Science Discovery, Technovation, Writers' Workshop, Yearbook
At Casey Middle School, the TAG Educational Advisor is one of many advocates for the students, and works with teachers and counselors to ensure appropriate programming. Our advisor is Fariba Aidun, who may be reached at Fariba.Aidun@bvsd.org.